Match Reports for 8th May by Tim Siret

Date Added Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Midweek - Premier Division

AFC Hinksey hosted Barton United in a match that will go a long way to deciding the premiership title, Barton needing a point & a Kings Arms Wheatley defeat in their final game, to clinch it, the home side a must win game to have any chance.

But Hinksey were in devastating form & ran out deserved winners in a 4-1 success in a game that had everything but unfortunately ended with crowd trouble & two sending offs for Barton.

Hinksey had another fine performance from midfield wizard Kieran Davies who scored two first half goals, before going off injured after an hour. Marlon James had scored for Hinksey in between those Davies strikes to give his side a seemingly invincible three goal lead. Mark Scanes, however, gave Barton some hope & beat the Hinksey offside trap & to pull a goal back, just before half time.

The second half was pretty much controlled by Hinksey who made sure of a tight title run in when Julian McCalmon made it 4-1. Hinksey keeper Karl Adams had to make a stunning save from a Scanes header but as time ran down, Barton totally lost the plot & had Dean Simms, (foul & abusive language) & Liam O`Callaghan, (two cautions), sent off & a drunk fuelled idiot on the sidelines decided to enter the field of play, something the UTV will not tolerate & a matter that will certainly mean serious repercussions for the both sides.

Hinksey now can make sure of the title with a win against Kings Arms Wheatley, in the final match of the season. A draw will give all three sides at the top a tie & mean a three way play off, for the first time in UTV history.

But that cider swilling on the side lines & the large amount of cards handed out by the referee will mean problems for both clubs as the league launch an inquiry into the unacceptable behaviour.
The AFC Hinksey v Kings Arms Wheatley game is scheduled for Sunday May 15th, at neutral venue, Sutton Courtenay.

Sunday - Alan Alder Memorial Trophy Final

It`s been a particularly difficult season this time out but what an end to the cup season, Zubry Oxford & Iffley Harriers served up a super competitive football match but one played with a tremendous spirit & attitude by all the players.

The Polish outfit deservedly claimed their first UTV trophy in their inaugural season edging past a Harrier side that just fell short, Zubry running out, 2-0 winners.

The Harriers only won three league matches all season, somewhat surprisingly, with the likes of Jack Barrett & their best player on the night, Silver Murati but Zubry controlled much of the first half & went in front in just four minutes when a cross come shot from man of the match Lukasz Wolinski flew over he advancing Harrier keeper James Southern.

Zubry midfield ace Emil Horbaczewski almost scored with a 35 yard chip but it was cleared by a defender off the line.

Intense Harrier pressure just before half time & a stack of corners proved fruitless & Zubry`s backline held firm & took that goal advantage, to he interval.

Then second half saw much of the same but the Harriers were dealt a blow when Barrett was replaced, through injury. As Harrier keeper Southern slipped, a back pass almost found its way in the net but a defender cleared off the line.

Both sides continued to probe the respective defences but couldn`t find a way through.

Murati had a long range free kick well saved by Zubry keeper Pawel Roszczyk but Zubry made sure of the Trophy when a Sebastian Ciekielski goal bound free kick was well saved by

Southern but Andrzej Krason was on hand to tap in & ensure there as no way back for a resilient Harrier outfit, much to the delight of the largely Polish contingent.

A real pity there were no Premier division players on show, to see how a sporting game should be played. One can only ponder whether their attendance would of registered, we will never know. Congratulations to both sets of players for an example of how football should be played, not a caution in sight for match referee Graham Norris, who enhanced a sporting spectacle, one thoroughly enjoyed by all who had the pleasure of attending!

Division 1

Inevitable relegation will come for Standlake Garage following a 6-4 reverse at home to OUP Wanderers. In fact Garage raced into a 3-1 lead through Luke Kelly & a brace from Chris Owen. But a typical Garage rearguard couldn`t hold out & a four goal burst from the visitors made the score 5-3 at half time, to OUP. Karl Dickinson planted home a clinical second half spot kick for Garage, their only second half goal & Wanderers only managed one in the second half, after that first period goal spree. OUP scorers were Damien Dean, Matty Parris-Wellman, Tom Payne, Luke Murphy & James Gray. OUP credit Ollie Burrows with the other goal as his shot flew in off Garage defender Nick Brown. Actually at 3-1 up, Garage hit a post & forced a fantastic save from Wanderer`s keeper Jack Mort which could easily of changed the final score but it wasn`t to be for the West Oxon outfit.

Division 3B

AFC Jericho finished off their title winning season with a 3-1 win at Oxford FC. Aaron Williams scored from the spot after Paul Gillard was fouled, to give Jericho an early lead. That was doubled when Marley Joseph scored, to make it a comfortable 2-0 score line at the break. However, two Sekou Bangoura strikes looked to of saved a point for Oxford but with just five minutes to go an Aaron Williams header won it for the 3A champions.

Mansfield Road finished off the season with a 3-1 win at Research Machines to ensure a creditable third spot. Max Burton hit the first for Mansfield from the spot, Karim Seekat finished well from the edge of the box with his left foot, to make it 2-0. Ben Sherlock found the corner of the net from 18 yards for their third, Ben Steptoe hit an RM consolation.

An inconsistent Didcot Casuals finished on a high note with a 7-3 victory over rivals Saxton Pirates, Johnny Eudell smashing a treble. Jamie Clark grabbed a Casual brace, Mike Violette & Richard Jepson completed the scoring for he hosts. The Pirates hit back with a Luke McIntosh double & a strike from Paul Moran.